Sunday, June 9, 2013

Every Day


                                       
The other day, Sean and I were driving to pick up the kids from school in the afternoon, and we had to stop at one of the city's (very few) traffic lights. While we waited for the light to change we watched this woman. She was sitting on the curb, trying to pull out her own front tooth with her fingers. We never did see how it turned out because the light changed and the people behind us started honking. 

"That's something you don't see every day," I remarked to Sean. And then we got to talking about all the things that we DO see almost every day -- things that are still so interesting -- and that we won't see at all, probably, when we go home next month. 


Funeral processions, almost always with a band.
Sheep by the road and in the road.
Weird wide loads.
...And crazy tall loads.
Fantastic dashboards.
...And more fantastic dashboards.
Children at work.
Sad reminders.
...And scary reminders.
Fresh orange juice, almost always!
Fresh everything, almost everywhere.
Dogs on the roofs. 
Woody Allen on the street. (?)
Magnificent moths.
...And caterpillars.

We're going to miss Mexico so much! It has been a beautiful, fascinating, meaningful, and often weird year for all of us.
Weird in a good way.

6 comments:

  1. Kirstin (and Sean), thank you for all the unique and interesting photos and observations you have shared over your year in Mexico. You have certainly experienced San Cristobal to the fullest in the time you have had, and I can imagine you will be leaving part of your hearts behind when you return to the U.S. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the things we've shared here -- I wish we had more time to devote to it, since there's no shortage of things of interest -- I think it has kept us close to the wonder of this year, and to all of you!

      Delete
  2. The picture that brought me back the most memories is the one with the man carrying all the furniture. I remember seeing people walking down the streets with dinette sets literally tied to their bodies with ropes, selling door to door. I can't imagine walking around all day with four chairs and a table strapped to my body (in 110 degree heat to boot!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I often see elderly women carrying huge loads on their backs (using those straps that go across their foreheads)--loads I don't think I could handle for a minute.

      Delete
  3. Just once I'd like to see a dog on a roof. Or Woody Allen on the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean and I are still wondering where Woody Allen came from. He was on a little rural highway outside of town while we were running one day....

      Delete